Monday, November 23, 2009

KanuHawaii Extra Credit post

Hello bloggers,

Its Jon here and wanted to tell everyone about this website and its positive impacts for communities in Hawaii. heres the link http://www.kanuhawaii.org/

The site is nice and well put together and has a wealth of info on Hawaii and sustainability. One thing that caught my eye when looking through the links and content was the campaign tab with all there current and past campaign's to make Hawaii more sustainable and green. The eat local challenge was cool and is simular to the planet green channels' tv show called 100miles. The idea here is to eat only things from local producers of vegetables, meats, and products. I have been slowly trying to do this entirely for a month to see if I could but am haviung trouble finding all the outlets for island produced local kine grinds to buy. I have only bought maui beef, maui grown veggies, and reduced my frozen food intake which have huge carbon loads getting them here. I have not turned on my oven in seriously 3 months and has made a huge difference in costs, carbon footprint, and health for my family. I would like to eventually make it completely Hawaii produced goods once I have all the places selling, seasons things are available, and with a cost effective manor and my personal garden going with more of a variety then my current salad garden going now. With these processes in line I will break free from the jet fuel for food situation we all have if we eat something not from Hawaii. I like the website hasd so many other ideas and cool stuff I would have never thought of thats easy to do and woudl truly help us all like carpooling and how much is saves annually or maybe to just get your voice heard and how to get yourself and your green messages out through local and state gov. agency and these are just a taste of whats going on inside their site so check it out! good stuff and even if you do not live in Hawaii the info is good for anyone world wide so cheak it out and see what Hawaii is doing to save the PLANET! Go Green Hawaii
Aloha for Reading Jon M Ellison